Albert Genius is composed of a team of real human experts. Text us any financial question!
- Hey! So I got this card for the miles and I did all the work to get the bonuses, but legit have no idea how to use them. Are you able to help me with that?
- Sure can! Firstly, what kind of card do you have? This will give me a better understanding of what type of miles program you're using.
- I've got the Chase Sapphire Preferred rewards card.
- Great, thats very helpful. And did you have a trip in mind already?
- I do. I really want to go to London and have about 55,000 points.
- That's great! Chase actually has a great program that's pretty easy to use for the miles. That said, you may want to look into transferring the points to a partner depending on the partners points system.
- I mention this, because some of the partners will have better deals on the miles than others. Do you know how to search for flights using points?
- No, I haven't used that part of the site yet.
- No problem! What I would suggest is first logging into the Chase rewards (https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase.com/) and searching for your flight plan within their rewards system.
- Next, I would search for flights using these partners, namely United, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, and Air France. When you search on their sites using the same dates, there should be an option to search in points instead of dollars.
- Then, you can compare the points across the flights, choosing the one with the lower points cost.
- Oh, that's cool. And how do I transfer the points? Do I just go to the other airlines sites?
- After locating which has the best deal using points, there is an option to transfer the points within their dashboard to another airline. You will likely need to create an account with the partner airline using their frequent flyer/points system to transfer the points to.
- Got it. And then I can just buy them there?
- Yes, that is correct. You can then login to that points system on the partner airlines site and purchase the flights directly there.
- Very cool. I'll check it out tonight and look at some flights. Can I text you if I get confused during the process? It sounds like it can get complicated.
- Sure can! We'll be here to help!